Below you’ll find some useful tips and tricks for using some of the computer programs offered here at Fox.
Printing multiple PowerPoint slides to a page
- To be more economical, printing PowerPoint slides three to a page or more will help save paper and toner.
- Open PowerPoint from the icon on your Citrix desktop or from your own computer.
- Open a PowerPoint document – File > Open
- In PowerPoint 2016:
- Go to File > Print.
- Under Settings where it says “Print Full Page Slides,” click this and select the number of slides you want to print to a page. You have many options, such as 3 to a page, 6 to a page or even 9 to a page. You can also print in outline form.
- Select the printer you want to print from and then press print.
Connecting to the library printers using a Windows-based PC (Tinley Park only)
- For the HP-4240 model printers located in the Tinley LRC and Room 111:
- Go to the Control Panel on your Windows PC. (In Windows 10, this is called “Settings.”)
- Under “Hardware and Sound” select “View devices and printers.” (In Windows 10, go to “Devices.”)
- Click “Add a printer.”
- Choose “Add a wireless, network or Bluetooth printer.”
- Choose “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- On the next screen select: “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address.”
- Under “Hostname and IP address” type the IP address of the printer that you want to connect to. (The IP address can be obtained from a staff member or on the printer’s display.) Leave the other options alone and click “Next.”
- Wait for your computer to detect the printer.
- Install the recommended driver and click “Next.”
- Click “Next” on the “Do you want to share this printer?” page.
- You will see a screen saying you’ve successfully installed the printer. (It is recommended that you print a test page to make sure it is working properly.)
- Click “Finish.”
- Repeat the same process above for any additional printers you want to add.
- This process is similar on a MacBook, Chromebook or other laptop device. You will just need to access the settings on your particular machine and go through the process above.
If, when you try to print at Tinley and the application you’re using is saying that the printer is “offline,” try to print first. Then, if it’s still not working, you will need to reinstall the printer using the guide above.
- For the Canon Printer/Copier in the Midway library:
- At this time, this machine cannot be connected to wirelessly. If you need to print, please save your files to a USB drive and use the computers in the library or any of the computer labs to print.
How to embed videos from YouTube (and other sites) into your PowerPoint presentations
Please see these links from Microsoft Office support for step-by-step instructions about using this feature in PowerPoint 2016. This cannot be used with Google Docs.
****Please note: If the printers are not working or are displaying an error message, please notify a staff member so it can be fixed. Please also DO NOT press print multiple times. This causes the printer to print your document multiple times and ultimately wastes paper.